Treatments for Cellulite
Expert’s Name: Carrie Pierce
While not all cellulite treatment products such as creams and/or lotions deliver lasting results, there are some that actually can -and DO-lessen the visible appearance of cellulite. Certain ingredients such as caffeine and several key herbs and botanicals assist in this lessening effect.
Proven to benefit cellulite are:
- Cypress: Highly astringent with a strong toning effect on body tissues. Should be avoided by pregnant women.
- Grape Seed Extract: Causes collagen fibers to strengthen and reinforce. Improves blood vessel elasticity and circulation.
- Dandelion: Flushes poisons and toxins out of the body and detoxes the liver and gall bladder. If you are Gluten Intolerant, dandelion is one of the highest gluten containing herbs on the planet, so beware!
- Horse Chesnut: Improves circulation/knocks out inflammation. Proven to cause the capillaries to become more toned, reducing cellulite’s appearance.
- Kelp: Stimulates metabolism and causes the body to release fluid accumulation. If iodine sensitive avoid using Kelp and/or other seaweed topically.
- Milk Thistle: Detoxifies the liver.
- Grapefruit: Very stimulating. A diuretic. Strengthens and tones tissues. Causes the body to release toxins.
- Fennel: Very diruetic. Anti-inflammatory.
- Green Tea: Very effective as an antioxidant.
- Ginko Biloba: Boosts circulation and causes cholesterol within the artery walls to remain fluid and resist oxidation.
- Juniper: Antispetic, toning and stimulating. Diuretic. This is another herb that should be avoided by pregnant women.
- Urva Ursi: Diruetic. Stimulates the release of trapped and accumulated fluids within the body. Fights bacteria and strengthens the major organs. Not recommended for pregnant or nursing women.
- Gotu Kola: Strengthens the underlying collagen fibers in the skin. Makes vein and capillary walls more flexible/ less prone to leaking.
- Dry brush massage: An ancient massage technique. This massage technique stimulates the lymph system and causes toxins to be moved through the lymph nodes and eventually eliminated from the body.
- Lymphatic drainage: Incredibly powerful for moving lymph fluid throughout the body and causing a deep, systemic detox of surrounding tissues. Lymphatic drainage uses incredibly soft stroking movements but is tremendously powerful in result. Prior to undergoing Lymphatic Drainage a detailed health analysis is necessary. If untreated infection or cancer is present, this massage technique can spread the disease process throughout the entire body. It is a very powerful and beneficial tool.
- Exercise: Simply crucial to enhancing overall health, strength and vitality, exercise is a non-negotiable for health and beauty As the saying goes: ‘Motion is LOTION!’.
- Diet/low glycemic and detox: Keeping blood sugar levels stable is critical to overall health and beauty- and is especially important during Menopause.
Standard protocol is to avoid a high-fat diet, sugary foods, highly caffeinated beverages, and instead focus on: fresh fruits and vegetables, lean protein sources, maintaining proper hydration, eating low glycemic index foods like legumes, brown rice, etc. and focus on getting enough of the essential fatty acids, Vitamin B Complex and Vitamin C.
First and foremost however: if you have cellulite and are peri menopausal /Menopausal, it is imperative to get -and keep- those hormones in balance!
Hormone supplementation is being shown to impact- and in some cases reverse- the aging process of the skin and also the formation/worsening of cellulite.
There is strong correlation between hormone decline and the onset of visible signs of skin aging.
So, the best course of action is to do your research, choose wisely- and then discuss your findings with your Physician!